About the Chilled Out Program
- Chilled Out is a confidential online multi-media program which teaches you skills to manage anxiety.
- It is an eight module program that helps you to:
- Learn about feelings and anxiety
- Learn to think realistically
- Overcome fears by building confidence and independence
- Learn to problem solve
- Build effective communication, such as assertiveness
- Within each module you will watch short videos and complete some quick exercises. You can write as little or as much as you like and you will store the activities on your own devices, so no one will see your responses. On average it takes between 8 to 12 weeks to complete the program but it is important that you do it at your own pace. A new module will become available every 7 days (i.e. each week).
- You will be asked to answer some questions throughout the program. This is because we want to see how helpful you have found it.
- You can choose to have a mentor to assist you in applying the Chilled Out skills. A good mentor might be a trusted friend or relative. There is a mentor workbook that you can download and give to your mentor so that they have an understanding of the skills you will be learning.
- You will also have a trained clinician who will support you along the way over the phone or in person (depending on where you are doing the program).
Acknowledgment and Ownership Details
‘Chilled Out Program Online’, Australia (English version), April, 2014, revision of ‘Cool Teens Program Online’, Australia (English version), December 2012.
The Chilled Out program was developed at the Centre for Emotional Health, Psychology Department, Macquarie University.
Lyneham, H. J., McLellan, L. F., Cunningham, M., Wuthrich, V., Schniering, C., Hudson, J. L., & Rapee, R. M. (2014). ChilledOut Online Program. Centre for Emotional Health, Macquarie University: Sydney
Professor Ron Rapee
Instructional Designer and Director
Clinical Psychology Advisors
Dr Heidi Lyneham
Dr Lauren McLellan
Dr Carolyn Schniering
Prof Jennifer Hudson
Prof Viviana Wuthrich
Programming and Graphical Design
Daniel Winter, Global Media Empire Pty Ltd
Qinni Yang and Michelle o’Reilly, Centre for Flexible Learning, Macquarie University
Jacqui Brandman and Ben Pooley
William Bainou and Alice Rapee
Emily Jones, Gavin Brennan, Melanie Isaacs
Niall Watson, Shayelle Lajoie, & Simon Jaeger
A Elis, School Torque/Schools Broadcasting Australia Pty
Whoop! Creative Helen Tan and Raymond Witanto
Thanks to the many people who provided feedback and support during development, are involved in evaluating the program, or have been involved in developing previous versions of therapy materials at the Centre for Emotional Health, Macquarie University.
Cunningham, M.J., Rapee, R.M., Lyneham, H.J., Schniering, C.A., Hudson, J.L., & Wuthrich, V. (2006). The Cool Teens CD-ROM – An anxiety management program for young people. Macquarie University Anxiety Research Unity, Sydney.
Lyneham, H.J., Wuthrich, V.M. & Rapee, R.M. (2010). Cool Kids Child and Adolescent Anxiety Program Adaptation for Supported Bibliotherapy Therapist Manual. Centre for Emotional Health, Macquarie University: Sydney.
Rapee, R.M., Wignall, A., Hudson, J.L., & Schniering, C.A. (2000). Treating anxious children and adolescents: An evidence-based approach. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
Wuthrich, V.M. (2013). Chilled Out Parent Companion for the Chilled Out computerized program. Centre for Emotional Health, Macquarie University: Sydney.
Lynehamn, H. J, Schniering, C. A., Wignall, A. & Rapee, R. M. (2006). The Cool Kids Anixety Program - Adolescent Workbook. Centre for Emotional Health, Macquarie University: Sydney
To return to the home page, click Home at the top of the screen.